Hairy Ticks of Dune

There's only room enough in this stillsuit for one of us! ... Wait, come back!

Sunday, September 24, 2006

In the words of the Master...

Looking back on it, I realize I did the right thing instinctively. You don't write for success. That takes part of your attention away from the writing. If you're really doing it, that's all you're doing: writing.

There's an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money (energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give.

That was really my intention all along.


Frank Herbert (April 1984; quoted by Freakzilla on Arrakeen).

Some people say that they find the new books entertaining. I'm happy for them.

At the same time, I'm pretty sure that by "and as much more as you can give", FH didn't intend "numerous sources for irritation and abiding frustration".

Guys...at the very least get some new editors.

(I'm cheap and could probably fit it in!)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are slacking on the blog entries Chigga. Rest assured I intend to debate to the very end with TAZ over the marty/daniel issue-my personal war :)

8:11 PM, October 04, 2006 
Blogger SandChigger said...

Sorry about that, B! I'll try to do better!

I've promised a shot of the current Post-It growth state of my copy of Hunters as well as some of familiar Earth constellations from the viewpoint of Arrakis.

Haven't done anything more with the Arrakis texture or the new version of TAZbot.

Speaking of TAZ...am I wrong in my suggestions for "rules of engagement"? (Since he prefers to view everything in terms of warfare. *sigh*) They only seemed common sense to me at the time I made them.

But of course, common sense is that one thing that isn't really, is it?

Common, I mean.

8:29 PM, October 04, 2006 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are absolutely on the mark with your "rules of engagment." You can't have a fruitful discussion when his side of the argument is " I talked to Kevin and he says your wrong" or the one I hate the most "They own the rights so anything they say is canon". Its a crock, and the discussion should be a genuine presentation of the points, preferably quotes to back them up, followed by counterpoints. I see nothing wrong with that--unfortunately, he positions aren't backed by anything substantive, so he will continue to violate the rules....

6:38 AM, October 05, 2006 
Blogger SandChigger said...

[TAZ's] positions aren't backed by anything substantive, so he will continue to violate the rules....

Damn...are you sure you Tleilaxu don't have some prescient abilities?

He continues to refuse to address the issue and to rely on personal attacks.

I'm beginning to think his use of language is like a ten-year-old's ability to drive a semi-trailer...or a smaller child's handling of a loaded gun.

Incredible where this Dune-fetish has led me. I've done really well most of my life in avoiding having to interact with people like him.

2:26 AM, October 07, 2006 

Post a Comment

<< Home