Hairy Ticks of Dune

There's only room enough in this stillsuit for one of us! ... Wait, come back!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

When the desert calls...

There is nothing to do but answer.


Then again...you could let the machine pick up.

I am hopping a thin line. The serene solitude of the desert beckons, all interest lost in the tumult of the souq.

To keep silent while waiting to see what will happen?
To try to win a battle that cannot be won?
Or simply to stop wanting to fight?

And then I reached a decision quite suddenly. One that I can live with.

Here is what I posted to the Dune Novels Forums:

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife...

...chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now, it's complete because it's ended here."
-from "Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

I have spent the day sitting just outside the entrance to the sietch, watching the comings and goings, and wandering aimlessly among the nearby dunes, communing with the spirits of the desert. And have at last reached my own conclusion, made up my mind for myself.

I reject the "New Canon" in its entirety and will henceforth ignore its very existence. As far as I am now concerned, The Dune Chronicles consists of six books and six books only. It is complete as stands because it ends.

Unfortunately, one of the psychofants (surprising, a n00b at that...which leads me to suspect he is a sockpuppet) couldn't just take this as good news and leave well enough alone.

It takes all kinds.

Update: Following another exchange with "The Almighty Zeus", I have decided to start reading Hunters again. Expect a list of new inconsistencies (as I see them) and critique of other aspects of the novel in the next week or so (if all goes well).

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Chig, I suppose I personally am not surprised. And I do believe you tried to go into it with an open mind. I guess, much to MY surprise, that I sort of enjoyed it. While I wouldn't put it anywhere near the originals, i would put it in the category "best effort yet." That may not be saying much, but the fact I could sit down with some fellow fans and have some positive discussions over it, put it a league over the previous efforts. Sure, there were parts I hated, but there were parts I was quite fond of.....This book may have saved me from complete conversion to an "others"...but then again, Sandworms could reverse that :)

10:41 AM, August 31, 2006 
Blogger SandChigger said...

My comment on the board to the contrary notwithstanding, after seeing the Sandworms cover art I'm glad I've decided to get out in this way.

I mean, I was quite serious when I said it's a nice piece of art (for that genre), and I am going to keep an eye on the Youll site Web Druid admins.

But Youll presumably wouldn't have created a scene like that with those particular details without a reason. (Water thumpers?)

Watersandworms? Ridiculous. The explanation will probably be something like, the new worms in the no-ship have developed the ability to withstand exposure to water. (No one has tried drowning one, right?) Or Norma Jean will "change" them. Or Sheeana with the help of Wormboy will help the worms overcome their ancestral fears and realize that even if Life is a beach, a day at the can still be a fun romp.

What happens to the spice? Floaty bits among the kelp? How will the BG et al. create the Water of Life? Plankton and trout, spice mass...the entire cycle will have to be reimagined.

"But it was in The Notes!"

Even if that is the case, can anyone prove that it would ever have made it into a book?

Oh, that's right. Frank told Brian all about it one morning over Wheaties.

Nah, I'm done with this. There's more than enough in the original six books to occupy a lifetime.

I'm glad you can find enjoyment in Brian and Kevin's work. I'm a creature of the Old World desert. Their brave New World may contain wonders...but none that interest me.

12:15 PM, August 31, 2006 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Understood, and I don't blame you. I've probably done all the reading of the prequels and legends that I ever intend to do, but I won't be able to resist the lure of Sandworms. It does make me feel dirty, unclean.....

Soon it will be time to seperate from the Dune obsession for a period. I have to do this now and then to ensure I don't wear the enjoyment out and find myself abandoning it for good later in life. I will seperate from it for ahwile, stay off the forums, read some other novels, and sometime next year, when the time is right, start the process all over again.....

1:48 PM, August 31, 2006 
Blogger SandChigger said...

Staying away from the forums sounds like an idea.

Someone wrote something about the characters having lost about 50 IQ points. I sometimes think I know how they would feel, were they aware of the difference.

But enough on that. :)

8:53 PM, August 31, 2006 

Post a Comment

<< Home