Hairy Ticks of Dune

There's only room enough in this stillsuit for one of us! ... Wait, come back!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Machina Non Grata

It seems that TAZbot is no longer welcome on the Dune Novels BBS.

But never fear, it will still be making guest blogs here from time to time. Asked for comment, TAZbot had this to say:



Elie Wiesel said in 'Nights' that the opposite of love is not hate; it is indifference, the lack of feeling itself. Although I wouldn't say 'damn all others', the fact that you know that I love you should just read the notes and not give your own POV that could lead to that, which is perfectly rational.

What's wrong with the Borg? I don't think that I'm fine with them believing whatever they want as long as they can be flawed like the Roman equivalent of Hades who is the God of the dead and the ruler of the underworld. They wouldn't tell you anyway. However, they are relentless in their ignorance based on their preconcieved notions that you and Sandchigger could have done a remarkable job at avoiding a problem.

I think that I am not making any claims aside from that I have not found one inconsistency in the prequels that could destroy the entire BG sisterhood with a problem. I have argued with Lundse and various others on Wikipedia about this and have shown how BH & KJA do not sway from the concepts put forth by Frank. And still more unjustified claims are being spewed out by the "Talifan" community against my credibility (sigh) and should try to skew my opinion into how any of what you say is relevant to any subject.


That kinda says it all, no? (Not that I have any idea what exactly that says!)

(Plans are still underway for Version 2.0. Stay tuned!)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you keep all of TAZ's original spelling/grammatical errors in tact? Or are all those earlier posts lost?

7:48 PM, September 20, 2006 
Blogger SandChigger said...

Who, me have tact? (Kidding!)

Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me to preserve the Words of the Almighty until much too late. (I mean, like who WOULD think of such a thing, right?) When I searched for all of his posts the other day, only about 180 came up of the 400 or so the BBware reports him as having posted since joining. The others have been deleted with the automatic pruning of the threads containing them, I assume.

Other than breaking up sentences as needed for the program, adding/changing some punctuation and inserting things like "should, might," etc. modals and the occasional preposition, conjunction and "the fact that", I haven't edited anything he has written. (Not all of the items have been properly conformed, so that's where some of the grammatical weirdness comes from.)

If you're interested in the mechanics, the program basically works on the "Chinese Menu" idea, as I mentioned on the BBS. There are five files containing "initials", "subjects", "verb phrases", "terminals", and "parting shots". To create a sentence, the program randomly chooses one item from each of the first four files and strings them together. It does this five times and then chooses one "parting shot". (That file contains a blank item, so some runs end with just the five sentences.) Note that for this excerpt I culled the most interesting bits from several runs; it's not "pure" output in that sense.

It's too bad Byron asked me to stop: I was just planning to create a Chiggerbot from my own posts and start a "Dueling Botros" thread. (I may still do it here, for sheets and gigglers.)

The next version will incorporate a more linguistically sound model using TAZ's most common sentence patterns and (rather limited) vocabulary. (And might not "sound" as much like him. We'll see....)

(Why do you choose to remain anonymous, hmm hmm hmm? :) )

8:29 PM, September 20, 2006 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the spelling errors are "in tact" :)

The possibilities are endless!! A Crysbot vs Konbot, Chigbot vs Tyrantobot. Perhaps Poeytron vs Freakzillanator?

You could mix it up a bit with some RP bots, say B-bot vs RevMotheratron? :)

You sure are a clever little bug...

10:54 AM, September 21, 2006 
Blogger SandChigger said...

Chigchiggachigchiggachig!

I chose to interpret that as NOT being sarcasm. Tickled me so much it set my hind legs a' chiggin'.

I noticed earlier that the most recent spammer on the BBS (Kim Juk, or something like that) had included links to a bunch of bogus Blogger blogs. What do you think, should TAZbot have a blog of his own?!

8:26 PM, September 21, 2006 
Blogger SandChigger said...

Call me impulsive. Call me a pain in the ass. Call me a cab, I've had too many to drive!

I wasn't able to register TAZbot as the Blogger user name...because someone has already taken it!

? ! ?

I wondered if TAZ had gotten the jump on me and registered the name to keep me from getting it. Silly me! Turns out it someone completely unrelated.

On the development front, I've already started work on the language generation engine for TAZbot 2.0. Still fairly primitive at this point:

Sand is! Some cats see some song! And my dogs hit several people for dogs. Water see my drinks by my cat!

Ahem, yes, well, it'll get there eventually. (Right now it just uses some general vocabulary items for testing. Once it's ready I'll replace them with a lexicon extracted from the TAZ Corpus.)

GOOD TIMES!

(Ye gods, I need to get a life!)

9:17 PM, September 21, 2006 

Post a Comment

<< Home