Hairy Ticks of Dune

There's only room enough in this stillsuit for one of us! ... Wait, come back!

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Before I begin in earnest...

I want to make one thing perfectly clear:

NOTHING HERE IS INTENDED AS AN ATTEMPT TO PERSUADE YOU TO BELIEVE AS I DO OR THAT MY OPINIONS ARE CORRECT OR THE ONLY ONES POSSIBLE. MY ONLY PURPOSE IS TO CLARIFY WHY I PERSONALLY DO NOT LIKE HUNTERS OF DUNE (OR ANY OF THE OTHER NEW DUNE BOOKS, FOR THAT MATTER). IF YOU'RE NOT INTERESTED IN READING MY REASONS, THEN JUST GO AWAY.

Basically, it's the writing that bothers me most. Sure, the cavalier introduction of their own ideas into the stories—in seeming disregard of the inconsistencies this sometimes creates—is pretty bad, but it's mostly the writing. I might have been able to forgive a multitude of other "sins" if the damned things were just better written.

I still haven't read anything else by either Brian or Kevin, but if what they have created together is any indication of what they produce individually, maybe they should consider a change of occupation? Or at least clarify what they are doing?

I don't have any problem with the existence of a young teen fiction market or with people targetting that demographic when writing. But I do have a problem with writers trying to pass off such books as fit for more mature readers.

(I hope to have the post for Hunters I.1 ready and up by the weekend.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad that you have to put something like this up as a disclaimer on your own blog; but that's the virtual world we live in I guess. I eagerly await the first entry. I have a couple of comments of my own on that section; I suspect they will mirror yours :)

So how do you feel about us commenting on the sections or your comments? Are you wanting some interaction in that fashion or is it more of a read and ponder situation? I don't want to bombard your site with my takes as well if that's not really what you are looking for. We need some "rules of engagement"! :)

(come on TAZ, I know damn well you are checking this blog--react!)

3:43 PM, December 13, 2006 
Blogger SandChigger said...

Answered in the next post! (Thanks for asking, forgot to mention it!)

7:09 PM, December 13, 2006 

Post a Comment

<< Home