Hairy Ticks of Dune

There's only room enough in this stillsuit for one of us! ... Wait, come back!

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Blunder Hunters of Dune: Prelude

What makes a beginning such a drag is that you have to be REALLY careful to take extreme care that everything is in balance. You know this, right? Well, all those Bene Gesserit sisters, you know, those Goth-wannabes in the black robes, well, they know it, too. 'Cause there's nothing worse than a lop-sided endeavor, you know? So get the balances right at the beginning....Like with Muad'Dib, you know, that Paul dude that this whole story revolves around, like he's the freaking center of the universe or something, talk about what a mind trip that must have been, everyone worshipping you and everything? Anyway, like Muad'Dib...everyone thinks he was born on Caladan, where he grew up, you know? But that's just because someone wasn't careful and screwed up a beginning somewhere. Paul was really born on Kaitain, you see, 'cause that's where all the action was. But all the confusion that one little mistake caused. Wow. Now you see what I'm talking about?
—from "An ADD Teen's History of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

ONE OF THE TECHNICAL defects of Hunters of Dune as a book is its lack of a Table of Contents. But when you actually look at the contents, you can understand why both the authors and the publishers were probably loath to include one. (A full and detailed one would have added somewhat to the length of the book, no doubt increasing the price? And a minimalistic one would have been next to pointless.)

Someone trying to create one for themself will find that the "X Years After Escape from Chapterhouse" divisions provide a ready starting point...but what are you to call them? "Chapters" feels a bit off, so I have opted for "Part I", "Part II", etc. Then there is the question of the subdivisions of each of these. Again, something in me rebels at calling something of at most 10 or so pages a "chapter", so I will refer to them as "Sections".

I am currently putting the finishing touches on the Table of Contents I will use in future posts as I begin my dissection of this sorry piece of...work. I hope to be able to post it tomorrow.

(Originally posted at 3:04 AM on 11/29/06)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing it, maybe in the process we will find the "subtle" clue (*rolls eyes*). But seriously, sounds like a reasonable way to structure it--now do you plan on posting comments in chronological order referring to the TofC, or will you jump around and keep a tally of what sections you have addressed? (this is the main reason I have kept up with your blog; I anxiously await your critique..Konman, are you going to rebut some of these critiques and add the pro-new canon perspectives?)

12:51 PM, December 12, 2006 
Blogger SandChigger said...

I think I'll be going chronologically, peeling off the Post-Its as I go. (And, actually, transferring them to the copy I'm making for scanning. It's an ugly job, but somebody's got to do it. I must confess...I have seriously asked myself over the last few days why I'm spending this much time on this crap. A "labor of loath", I suppose.)

this is the main reason I have kept up with your blog; I anxiously await your critique.

Eek! Performance pressure! :)

2:03 PM, December 12, 2006 
Blogger Klea said...

ROTFL! I love the first bit about the teenager's history!

- Klea (aka Hypatia)

2:46 PM, June 10, 2007 

Post a Comment

<< Home